- You were threatened by your parents that you’ll end up sweeping the floor or in a sugarcane field if you did not get good grades when you were a kid.
2. If you didn’t go to a private high school, you had to endure a single-sex high school.
3. You flirt in French but swear like a sailor in creole when you are angry.
4. The first time you meet someone, you speak in French. Depending on the response, you will decide if the rest of the conversation is going to be in French or in Creole.
5. You know at least one Mauritian friend who did not know how to speak creole because his parents forbid him to speak in that language. Or you are that Mauritian who was forbidden to speak in creole.
6. It is difficult for you to stick to only one language when talking to someone. Chances are, you will be mixing some french words, creole and English. Just like in this video:
7. You REALLY know how to dance the sega just like in this video:
Or you can manage it just like in this video:
Or you suck at it just like this guy in this video:
8. Either category you fall, you always tell yourself that foreigners don’t know how to “casse lerein” (Make their hips swing) when you see them dance.
9. If you don’t know how to make a rougaille, you’re not a true Mauritian.
9. You use “Ayo” to express annoyance and “fouf” to express frustration or annoyance too.
10. Tea is very important. You drink it in the morning and it is important to have a “tea break” around 3 pm or 4 pm.
11. You’ve been told your whole life that Rhum can solve coldness and some health issues…
12. When you meet another Mauritian and he/she asks you your last name and the place you live, you are sure that they will do a background research on you.
13. You didn’t listen to sega when you were in Mauritius but you found yourself indulging in Cassiya when you were feeling homesick abroad. Cassiya’s video:
12. That instant bond you get when you meet another Mauritian abroad when you hear him/her speak creole.
Don’t forget to like and share this blog post if you like it ;). And leave me your thoughts on the comment section below. Cheers :).